Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Low-fat Vegan Carrot Zucchini Muffins

    As a mama who's trying to prepare healthy, tasty treats for her family, I often find myself incorporating veggies as much as I can without the kids noticing. Zucchini is one of the veggies I'm constantly trying to sneak into their food as both monkadoos refuse to eat it when I cook it for dinner. I stumbled across a recipe on Sparkrecipes.com that looked good, so I decided to tinker with it & adapted it to our needs.

    1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup shredded carrot
    1 cup shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners or spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Make well in center of bowl and stir in applesauce & vanilla (mixture will be thick). Fold in carrots and zucchini. Spoon into muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment