Monday, August 9, 2010

Raspberry Jam

I have never canned or preserved anything in my life but wanted to give it a shot. I figured I'd start with something simple like jam because my kids love it. Also, my dad has an abundance of raspberries in his garden so it was an easy choice. Picking raspberries gave the kids something to do for an hour one afternoon (you need a lot of berries) and my dad was happy his raspberries weren't going to waste. 

Before you get started, make sure you have sterilized your jars. Put your clean jars in the oven for 10 minutes at 225*F. Let the lids and rings boil in a large pot while you are making your jam.  Make sure you are putting your jam into warm jars.

Raspberry Jam
Makes 8 cups 

Preparation of fruit
Crush berries, one layer at a time. I let the kids do this with a potato masher in a very big bowl. You can sieve half the pulp to remove some of the seeds, if desired. We like the seeds so we left them all in.


Ingredients
3 3/4 c. crushed raspberries
1/4 c. lemon juice
6 1/2 c. granulated white sugar
1 pouch of Certo liquid pectin (costs less then $3 for 2 pouches at the grocery store)


Directions
In a large saucepan stir together fruit, lemon juice, and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Hard boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in Certo liquid pectin. 

Stir and skim for 5 minutes to prevent fruit floating. Pour into warm sterilized jars (I pour from the pot into a large measuring cup with a spout) to 1/4 inch from the rim. Cover with lids and screw rings on tightly. 

Note: This recipe came from the Certo box. They didn't pay me to tell me how great their jam recipe is, but I would be ok with it if they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment