Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pizza Pretzels

I was looking for peanut free school lunch ideas when I found this recipe in a cookbook I've had for years. My taste testers gave it two thumbs up!! My daughter asked "can I have TWO of these in my lunch?" Success! I think they'd also be good with chopped up pizza toppings like green pepper, pepperoni, or mushroom. I'll try that next time. I'm going to individually freeze these and use them for lunches.

Pizza Pretzels
Makes 15

1 1/4 c. water
2 tbsp oil or margarine (I used olive oil)
3 c. flour (I did 2 c. white and 1 c. whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano (I used ground and didn't measure. I needed to use more.)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp instant yeast

Add all ingredients to a bread machine and put on the dough setting. Or, if you know how to make dough, go ahead and do it "the old fashioned way". 

Cut dough into 15 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8 inch log by rolling. Twist into pretzel shapes (my daughter said mine looked more like bows. I got better by pretzel #15) and place on greased or parchment paper lined baking sheets. Brush with oil, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. I let mine rise in my oven with the light on. 

Brush tops with pizza sauce (don't be afraid to be generous) and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment